Monroe County, Indiana Records
Monroe County Cities and Towns include Bloomington, Ellettsville, Stinesville, New Unionville, Smithville.
Monroe County Townships include Bean Blossom, Benton, Bloomington, Clear Creek, Indian Creek, Perry, Polk, Richland, Salt Creek, Van Buren, Washington. See Map of Monroe County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Monroe County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Monroe County, IN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Monroe county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Monroe County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1818, Probate Records from 1818 and Court Records from 1854. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Monroe County Recorder has Land Records from 1817. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Monroe County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Monroe County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Monroe County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Monroe County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Monroe County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Monroe County Historian, Joyce B. Poling, 2656 E. Second St., Bloomington, IN 47401; Home Phone: (812) 336-1813
- Monroe County History Center
- Monroe County Genealogical Society, E 6th St. & Washington, Bloomington 47401
- Monroe County, Indiana Message Boards
Monroe County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Monroe County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Monroe County
- Monroe County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Monroe Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Monroe County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Monroe Co. INGenweb
- Monroe County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Monroe County, Indiana Military Records