Wakulla County, Florida Records
Wakulla County, Florida (Map It) was created on March 11, 1843 from Leon County. Wakulla County was named for the Wakulla River, itself named for a Spanish corruption of a Timucuan word used to describe the body of water, but that is of uncertain meaning.
Wakulla County Cities and Towns include Sopchoppy, St. Marks.
A Map of Wakulla County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wakulla Co. Historical Events:
- Ponce de Leon attempted a settlement here in 1521 and was mortally, wounded by an Indian arrow.
- Narvaez built rude ships here in which his followers fled from Florida in 1528.
- In 1678 a fort was constructed at St. Marks to. guard shipping intended for St. Augustine. Spanish missions had been established earlier in the seventeenth century.
- St. Marks was captured in 1818 by Andrew Jackson's army when he invaded Florida to punish Indians for raids into Georgia. He executed two British agents at this Spanish fort on a charge of inciting Indians to raid U. S. territory.
- St. Marks became a great cotton shipping port before the Civil War and later Newport also became a noted port.
- The trade of both places fell to nothing after railroads were built connecting with the North.
- Wakulla Springs, one of Florida's greatest natural wonders, is the source of the Wakulla River.
Wakulla County, Florida Courthouse Records
Wakulla County, FL Courthouse
Old Wakulla County Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wakulla county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Wakulla County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1892, Land Records from 1843, Probate Records from 1892 and Court Records from 1843. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Wakulla County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wakulla County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Wakulla County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wakulla County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Wakulla County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Wakulla County Historical Society
- Wakulla County, Florida Message Boards
Wakulla County, Florida External Links
- Florida Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Wakulla County, Florida Books - Amazon
- Wakulla Co., Florida - FindaGrave
- Florida Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Wakulla County Courthouse History
- Wakulla County, Florida Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Florida (1823 - 1959)
- Wakulla Co. FLGenweb
- Wakulla County, Florida Ancestry Database Collections
- Wakulla County maps from Exploring Florida website
- Wakulla County, Florida Military Records