Phillips County, Arkansas Records
Phillips County, Arkansas (Map It) was created on May 1, 1820 and was formed from Arkansas County and Lawrence County. Parts of Phillips County was used to form the following counties: Crittenden 1825, Lee 1873, Monroe 1829, St. Francis 1827.
Other county boundry changes occured when Part annexed to Arkansas 23 October 1821, W boundary defined 30 October 1823, line with Arkansas defined 21 November 1829. Phillips County was named in honor of Sylvanus Phillips, a member of the territorial legislature .
Phillips County is bordered by Lee County (north), Tunica County, Mississippi (northeast), Coahoma County, Mississippi (east), Bolivar County, Mississippi (southeast), Desha County (south), Arkansas County (southwest), Monroe County (northwest).
Phillips County Cities and Towns include Elaine, Helena-West Helena, Lake View, Lexa, Marvell.
A Map of Phillips County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries..
Phillips County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Phillips County, AR Courthouse
The Phillips County Courthouse is located in Helena, Arkansas.It was reported most of the records intact though some were "slightly damaged by being moth-eaten"; records were removed during the War but returned in good condition; entries kept in "Irregular D" volume while records were gone. Learn More About State of Arkansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Phillips county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Phillips County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1850, Land Records from 1820 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Phillips County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1831 and has Probate Records from 1820. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Phillips County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Phillips County Health Department
Phillips County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Phillips County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Phillips County, Arkansas Resources
- Phillips County Historical Society, 702 Porter Street, Helena, AR 72342
- Tri-County Genealogical Society
- Phillips County, Arkansas Message Boards
Phillips County, Arkansas External Links
- Arkansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Phillips County, Arkansas Books - Amazon
- Phillips Co., Arkansas - FindaGrave
- Arkansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Phillips Co. ARGenweb
- Phillips County, Arkansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Arkansas (1819 - 1999)
- Phillips County, Arkansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Phillips County, Arkansas Military Records