Mississippi County, Arkansas Records
Other county boundry changes occured when Part of Crittenden annexed 18 January 1861. Mississippi County was named for the the Mississippi River.
Mississippi County is bordered by Dunklin County, Missouri (northwest), Pemiscot County, Missouri (north), Dyer County, Tennessee (northeast), Lauderdale County, Tennessee (east), Tipton County, Tennessee (southeast), Crittenden County (south), Poinsett County (southwest), Craighead County (west).
Mississippi County Cities and Towns include Bassett, Birdsong, Blytheville, Burdette, Dell, Dyess, Etowah, Gosnell, Joiner, Keiser, Leachville, Luxora, Manila, Marie, Osceola, Victoria, Wilson.
A Map of Mississippi County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries..
Mississippi County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Mississippi County, AR Courthouse
Mississippi County, AR Courthouse
The Mississippi County Courthouse is located in Blytheville, Arkansas and Osceola, Arkansas. Arkansas History Commission information shows record loss from a courthouse fire in 1865. Learn More About State of Arkansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Mississippi county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Mississippi County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1865, Land Records from 1844 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Mississippi County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1867 and has Probate Records from 1865. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Mississippi County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Mississippi County Health Department
Mississippi County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Mississippi County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Mississippi County, Arkansas Resources
- Mississippi County Historical & Genealogical Society
- Mississippi County Community College, P.O. Box 1109, Blytheville, AR 72316-1109
- Mississippi County, Arkansas Message Boards
Mississippi County, Arkansas External Links
- Arkansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Mississippi County, Arkansas Books - Amazon
- Mississippi Co., Arkansas - FindaGrave
- Arkansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Mississippi Co. ARGenweb
- Mississippi County, Arkansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Arkansas (1819 - 1999)
- Mississippi County, Arkansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Mississippi County, Arkansas Military Records