Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Records
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama (Map It) was created on February 6, 1818 from the Cherokee and Choctaw Cession of 1816, though its present boundaries were not established until 1820. Tuscaloosa county was named for the Choctaw Indian word for the Black Warrior River, which flows through the area.
Tuscaloosa County is bordered by Walkery County (northeast), Jefferson County (east), Bibb County (southeast), Hale County (south), Greene County (southwest), Pickens County (west), Fayette County (northwest).
Tuscaloosa County Cities and Towns include Brookwood, Coaling, Coker, Holt, Lake View, Moundville, North Bibb, Northport, Tuscaloosa, Vance.
A Map of Tuscaloosa County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Tuscaloosa County, AL Courthouse
The Tuscaloosa County Courthouse is located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. First established in Tuscaloosa in 1819, moved to Newton in 1822, and then back to Tuscaloosa shortly thereafter. The town of Tuscaloosa was designated the state capitol from 1826-45
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Tuscaloosa county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Tuscaloosa County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1823 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Tuscaloosa County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1821, Probate Records from 1823 and Land Records from 1823.
- Tuscaloosa County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Tuscaloosa County Health Department has Birth Records from 1880 , Death records from 1880
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society, 500 28th Ave., Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
- Tuscaloosa Genealogical Society
- Tuscaloosa Public Library, 205-345-5820
- Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Message Boards
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Tuscaloosa Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Tuscaloosa Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Military Records