Jefferson County, Alabama Records
Jefferson County is bordered by Blount County (north), St. Clair County (northeast and east), Shelby County (south and southeast), Bibb County (southwest (a very short boundary), Tuscaloosa County (west and southwest), Walkery County (northwest and north).
Jefferson County Cities and Towns include Adamsville, Adger, Alton, Argo, Avondale, Bessemer, Birmingham, Brighton, Brookside, Cahaba Heights, Cardiff, Center Point, Chalkville, Clay, Concord, County Line, Dolomite, Edgewater, Ensley, Ezra, Fairfield, Forestdale, Fultondale, Gardendale, Grayson Valley, Graysville, Helena, Homewood, Hoover, Hueytown, Irondale, Kimberly, Leeds, Lipscomb, Maytown, McCalla, McDonald Chapel, Midfield, Minor, Morris, Mount Olive, Mountain Brook, Mulga, North Johns, Oak Grove, Pinson, Pleasant Grove, Pratt City , Providence, Rock Creek, Sandusky, Shady Grove, Ala., Shannon, Southside, Smithfield, Sumiton, Sylvan Springs, Tarrant, Trafford, Trussville, Valley Creek, Vestavia Hills, Warrior, West Jefferson, Woodlawn, Wylam.
A Map of Jefferson County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Jefferson County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Jefferson County, AL Courthouse
The Jefferson County Courthouse is located in Birmingham, Alabama. The County Seat was Carrollsville from 1819-21, at Elyton from 1821-73, and since 1873 has been at Birmingham, which was named for England's iron and steel center in Warwickshire. There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1870.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jefferson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Jefferson County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1826 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Jefferson County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1818, Probate Records from 1819 and Land Records from 1819.
- Jefferson Tax Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Jefferson County Health Department has Birth Records from (Partial)1871, 1882, Death records from (Partial)1871, 1882.
Jefferson County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jefferson County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Jefferson County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Birmingham Public Library, (Tutwiler Collection), 205-226-3665
- Birmingham Genealogical Society
- Birmingham Historical Society
- Hueytown Historical Society
- Jefferson County Historical Commission
- Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society, P.O. Box 130285, Birmingham, AL 35213-0285
- Birmingham African American Genealogy Group, Inc
- Roebuck Springs Historic Preservation Society
- West Jefferson County Historical Society
- Alabama Genealogical Society, Inc.
- Jefferson County, Alabama Message Boards
Jefferson County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Jefferson County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Jefferson Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Jefferson Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Jefferson County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Jefferson County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Jefferson County, Alabama Military Records