Pickens County, Alabama Records
Pickens County, Alabama (Map It) was created on December 20, 1820 as Picken's County, and was formed from Tuscaloosa County The boundaries were changed several times between 1820 and 1866 when its present boundaries were fixed. AAAAA county was named in honor of Andrew Pickens (1739–1817) of South Carolina, General in the Revolutionary War.
Pickens County is bordered by Lamar County (North), Fayette County (Northeast), Tuscaloosa County (East), Greene County (Southeast), Sumter County (South), Noxubee County, Mississippi (Southwest), Lowndes County, Mississippi (West).
Pickens County Cities and Towns include Aliceville, Carrollton, Ethelsville, Gordo, Macedonia, McMullen, Memphis, Pickensville, Reform, McShan.
A Map of Pickens County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Pickens County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Pickens County, AL Courthouse
Old Pickens County Courthouse
The Pickens County Courthouse is located in Carrollton, Alabama. The county seat was established at Picken's Courthouse (later called Pickens and Pickensville) and moved to Carrollton in 1830. There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1864 and 1876, all records destroyed.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pickens county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Pickens County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1876 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Pickens County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1876, Probate Records from 1876 and Land Records from 1876.
- Pickens County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Pickens County Health Department has Birth Records from 1903 , Death records from 1903.
AAAAA County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
AAAAA County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Pickens County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Pickens County Genealogical Society, 350 Springfield Rd, Gordo, AL 35466
- Carrollton Public Library, 205-367-2142
- Aliceville Public Library, 205-373-6691
- Pickens County, Alabama Message Boards
Pickens County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Pickens County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Pickens County, Alabama Public GIS Website
- Pickens Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Pickens Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Pickens County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Pickens County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- AAAAA County, Alabama Military Records