Burnett County, Wisconsin Records
Burnett County, Wisconsin (Map It) was created on March 31, 1856 from Polk County and Douglas County. The county was named in honor of Thomas P. Burnett, state legislator.Learn More About State of Wisconsin History
Burnett County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Anderson, Blaine, Daniels, Dewey, Grantsburg, Jackson, La Follette, Lincoln, Meenon, Oakland, Roosevelt, Rusk, Sand Lake, Scott, Siren, Swiss, Trade Lake, Union, Webb Lake, West Marshland, Wood River, Grantsburg, Siren, Webster.
A Map of Burnett County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Burnett County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Burnett County, WI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records. County was attached to Polk County for county and judicial purposes from 1856–59; 1859–64 and 1866–71. Some early records may be found there.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Burnett county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Burnett County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1853?, Marriage Records from 1869?, Death Records from 1846? and Land Records from 1866. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Burnett County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1868. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Burnett County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1870. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Burnett County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Burnett County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Burnett County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Burnett County, Wisconsin Resources
- Grantsburg Area Historical Society
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - River Falls
- Burnett County, Wisconsin Message Boards
Burnett County, Wisconsin External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Burnett County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Burnett Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- Burnett County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List
- Burnett Co. WIGenweb
- Burnett County, Wisconsin Ancestry Database Collections
- Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records: Original Field Notes & Plat Maps for Burnett County
- Burnett County, Wisconsin Military Records