San Juan County, Washington Records
San Juan County, Washington (Map It) was created on October 31, 1873 from Whatcom County. The county was named for San Juan Island. The county’s most significant historical event was the dispute between Great Britain and the United State over the islands’ sovereignty known as “The Pig War.” The dispute was arbitrated by Germany and settled in favor of the United States. Today the primary economic pursuits in the county are produce farming and tourism. .
San Juan County Cities and Towns include Friday Harbor..
A Map of San Juan County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
San Juan County, Washington Courthouse Records
San Juan County, WA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The San Juan County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- San Juan County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1891 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1874 and Land Records from 1877 . The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- San Juan County Clerk has Court Records from 1874 and Probate Records from 1889 . The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- San Juan County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The San Juan County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
San Juan County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
San Juan County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
San Juan County, Washington Resources
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch
- San Juan Historical Society
- Shaw Island Library & Historical Society
- Lopez Island Historical Museum, PO Box 163, 28 Washburn Pl, Lopez Island, WA 98261. Phone 360-468-2049.
- Orcas Island Historical Museum
- San Juan Historical Museum
- San Juan Washington Family History Center, 1013 Lampard Road, Friday Harbor, WA. Phone 360-378-4162 .
- San Juan County, Washington Message Boards
- San Juan County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
San Juan County, Washington External Links
- Washington Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- San Juan County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Records of San Juan County
- San Juan Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- San Juan County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- San Juan Co. WAGenweb
- San Juan County, Washington Ancestry Database Collections
- San Juan County, Washington Military Records
- Washington, Postmaster Indexes, Prior to 1965
- Washington gazetteer and business directory : 1901-1902.