Island County, Washington Records
Island County, Washington (Map It) was created on January 06, 1853 from Thurston County. The county was named for Whidbey and Camano Islands. The county was first settled by I. N. Ebey in 1850 and later by Captain Thomas Coupe in 1852. The U.S. Naval Air Station on Whidbey Island created an economic revival in the county when it was founded in 1942. Its county seat, Coupeville, is now a preserved historic town. Today the main economic activities in the county are government, farming, fishing and tourism. .
Island County Cities and Towns include Ault Field , Camano, Clinton, Freeland.. A Map of Island County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Island County, Washington Courthouse Records
Island County, WA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Island County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Island County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1891 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1853 and Land Records from 1853 . The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Island County Clerk has Court Records from 1853 and Probate Records from 1891. The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Island County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Island County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Island County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Island County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Island County, Washington Resources
- Genealogical Society of South Whidbey Island, PO Box 976, Langley, WA 98260.
- San Juan County Genealogical Society
- Sno-Isle Genealogical Society
- Whidbey Island Genealogical Searchers, PO Box 627, Oak Harbor, WA 98277-0627.
- Island County Historical Society
- South Whidbey Historical Society , 312-2nd St, Langley, WA 98260. Phone 360-579-3519.
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch
- Island County Historical Society Museum, PO Box 305, 908 NW Alexander St, Coupeville, WA 98239. Phone 360-678-3310.
- South Whidbey Historical Museum, PO Box 612, 312 Second St, Langley, WA 98260. Phone 360-730-3367.
- Island County, Washington Message Boards
- Island County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
Island County, Washington External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Island County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Island County Birth Records (1841 - 2000) Washington State Digital Archives
- Island County Death Records (1833 - 2006) Washington State Digital Archives
- Island County Divorce Records (1901 - 1999) Washington State Digital Archives
- Island County Marriage Records (1867 - 1999) Washington State Digital Archives
- Island Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- Index to Names in all 3 volumes of South Whidbey and Its People An index to three books about early South Whidbey Island and the village of Langley
- Island County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Island Co. WAGenweb
- Island County, Washington Ancestry Database Collections
- Island County, Washington Military Records
- Washington, Postmaster Indexes, Prior to 1965
- Washington gazetteer and business directory : 1901-1902.