Jefferson County, Washington Records
Jefferson County, Washington (Map It) was created on December 22, 1852 from Thurston County. The county was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), 3rd U.S. President and principal author of the Declaration of Independence. In 1792 Captain George Vancouver named Port Townsend, the present county seat. During the mid-nineteenth century the city experienced a building boom resulting from its status as a major Puget Sound port of entry and it is now a showpiece of Victorian architecture. Today the county bases its economy on wood products and agriculture while the Olympic National Park, occupying over half of the county, and the unique character of Port Townsend make tourism a major industry. .
Jefferson County is bordered by Island County (northeast), Kitsap County (southeast), Mason County (southeast), Grays Harbor County (southwest), Clallam County (northwest), San Juan County (northeast).
Jefferson County Cities and Towns include Brinnon, Marrowstone, Port Hadlock-Irondale, Port Ludlow, Port Townsend, Quilcene.. A Map of Jefferson County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jefferson County, Washington Courthouse Records
Jefferson County, WA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Jefferson County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Jefferson County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1891 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1853 and Land Records from 1855. The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Jefferson County Clerk has Court Records from 1853 and Probate Records from 1854. The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Jefferson County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Jefferson County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Jefferson County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jefferson County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Jefferson County, Washington Resources
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society
- Jefferson County Historical Society & Museum
- Port Townsend Family History Center Library, 10104 Rhody Dr Rd, Chimacum, WA 98325. Phone 360-385-5191.
- Quilcene Historical Museum, PO Box 574, 151 Columbia St, Quilcene, WA 98376. Phone 360-765-4848
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch
- Jefferson County, Washington Message Boards
- Jefferson County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
Jefferson County, Washington External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Jefferson County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Jefferson Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- Jefferson County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Jefferson Co. WAGenweb
- Jefferson County, Washington Ancestry Database Collections
- Jefferson County, Washington Military Records
- Washington, Postmaster Indexes, Prior to 1965
- Washington gazetteer and business directory : 1901-1902.