Caroline County, Virginia Records
Caroline County, Virginia (Map It) was created in March 15, 1727 from Essex County, King and Queen County and King William County. Additional parts of King and Queen County were added in 1742 and 1762. Caroline county was named for Caroline of Ansbach, wife of King George II of Great Britain..
Caroline County is bordered by Stafford County (north), King George County (north), Hanover County (south), King William County (east), King and Queen County (east), Essex County (east), and Spotsylvania County (west).
Caroline County Cities and Towns include Bowling Green and Port Royal.
Caroline County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Caroline County, VA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Caroline County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
Most records prior to 1836 were destroyed during the Civil War. Some deeds and wills are recorded in extant Chancery Papers, and a considerable number of order books and loose papers survive.
- Caroline County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1787, Land Records from 1728, Court Records from 1732 and Probate Records from 1665.
- Caroline County Treasurer's Office
- Caroline County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Caroline County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
Caroline County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Caroline County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Caroline County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- Caroline Historical Society , P.O. Box 324, Bowling Green, VA 22427, (804) 633-6101
- Caroline County Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 9, Bowling Green, VA 22427
- Central Rappahannock Heritage Center
- Caroline Library, Inc
- Caroline County, Virginia Message Boards
- Caroline County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Caroline County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Caroline Co. Virginia
Caroline County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Caroline County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Caroline County, Virginia Births, 1881-96
- Caroline County, Virginia Births, 1859-68 (except 1863)
- Caroline County, Virginia Births, 1870-1880
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Caroline Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- Caroline County, Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Caroline Co. VAGenweb
- Caroline County, Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units
- Caroline County, Virginia Military Records