Cumberland County, New Jersey Records
Cumberland County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on 1748 from Salem County. The county was named in honor of Prince William, Duke of Cumberland (1721–1765), second son of George II of England and military victor at the Battle of Culloden in 1746 .
Cumberland County Cities and Towns include Bridgeton, Millville, Vineland. Communities include Cedarville, Delmont, Dorchester, Fairton, Fortescue, Laurel Lake, Mauricetown, Port Elizabeth, Port Norris, Rosenhayn, Seabrook Farms.
Cumberland County Townships include Commercial, Deerfield, Downe, Fairfield, Greenwich, Hopewell, Lawrence, Maurice River, Stow Creek, Upper Deerfield. Boroughs include Shiloh.
A Map of Cumberland County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cumberland County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Cumberland County, NJ Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cumberland county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Cumberland County Clerk has Land Records from 1766 mortgages / 1785 deeds and Marriage Records from 1748. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Cumberland County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1785 orphans' court minutes / 1804 surrogates' records. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Cumberland County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Cumberland County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cumberland County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Cumberland County, New Jersey Resources
- Cumberland County Historical Society
- Mauricetown Historical Society
- Millville Historical Society
- Vineland Historical Society
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cumberland County
Cumberland County, New Jersey External Links
- New Jersey Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Marriages, 1740-1910
- Cumberland County (New Jersey) marriages
- South Jersey marriages : supplementing the Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem County marriage records
- Tombstone inscriptions, Presbyterian Church, Fairfield, Cumberland County
- Cumberland Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- History of the counties of Gloucester, Salem, and Cumberland, New Jersey
- This volume contains biographical sketches of leading citizens of Cumberland County, New Jersey
- Cumberland County, New Jersey genealogical data : records pertaining to persons residing in Cumberland County prior to 1800
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Cumberland Co. NJGenweb
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Military Records