Carter County, Missouri Records
Carter County, Missouri (Map It) was created on March 10, 1859 from Oregon County, Reynolds County, Ripley County and Shannon County. The county was named in honor of Zimri Carter, pioneering settler .
Carter County Cities and Towns include Ellsinore, Fremont, Hunter, Grandin, Van Buren.
A Map of Carter County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Carter County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Carter County, MO Courthouse
The Carter County Courthouse is located in Van Buren, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Carter county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Carter County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1861 and Land Records from 1845.
- Carter County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1859 and Court & Divorce Records from 1866.
- Carter County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from ?.
- Carter County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Carter County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Carter County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Carter County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Carter County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- West Carter County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 309, Van Buren Mo 63965; Phone 573-323-4315;
- Ellsinore Pioneer Museum, Route 3, Box 247, Ellsinore, MO 63937; Phone: (573) 322-5297
- Carter County, Missouri Message Boards
- Carter County, Missouri Genealogy Boards
Carter County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Carter County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Carter Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Carter County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Carter County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Carter Co. MOGenweb
- Carter County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Carter County, Missouri Military Records