Choctaw County, Mississippi Records
Choctaw County, Mississippi (Map It) was created on December 23, 1833 from Lowndes County, Madison County, Monroe County and Yazoo County. The county was named in honor of Choctaw Native Americans .
Choctaw County is bordered by Webster County (north), Oktibbeha County (east), Winston County (southeast), Attala County (southwest) and Montgomery County (west).
Choctaw County Cities and Towns include Ackerman, French Camp, Mathiston (mostly in Webster County), Weir.
A Map of Choctaw County, Mississippi contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Choctaw County, Mississippi Courthouse Records
Choctaw County, MS Courthouse
The Choctaw County Courthouse is located in Ackerman, Mississippi. Record loss, 1888. Chester was the first county seat but suffered several fires. No records from that period extant. Learn More About State of Mississippi Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Choctaw county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Choctaw County Chancery Court Clerk has Land Records from 1880, Probate Records from 1879 and Divorce Records from see Clerk. The County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records.
- Choctaw County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1881 and Court Records from 1881. The County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Choctaw County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- Choctaw County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Choctaw County, Mississippi Census Records
- Learn More: State of Mississippi Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Choctaw County, Mississippi Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Mississippi Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from November 1, 1912 to present
- Marriage Records: has statistical marriage records only from January 1926 to July 1, 1938, and since January 1942. to present
- Divorce Records: has divorce indexes from January 1926 to present
- Locations: Mississippi Office of Vital Statistics, Mississippi State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications..
- In Person: Mississippi Vital Records, State Dept of Health, 571 Stadium Dr., Jackson, MS 39215; (601) 576-7960
Choctaw County, Mississippi Resources
- Choctaw County Historical & Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 1382, Ackerman, MS 39735
- Choctaw County, Mississippi Message Boards
- Choctaw County, Mississippi Genealogy Boards
Choctaw County, Mississippi External Links
- Mississippi Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Choctaw County, Mississippi Books - Amazon
- Choctaw Co., Mississippi - FindaGrave
- Mississippi Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Choctaw County, Mississippi Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Mississippi (1818 - 1964)
- Choctaw Co. MSGenweb
- Choctaw County, Mississippi Ancestry Database Collections
- Choctaw County, Mississippi Military Records