Olmsted County, Minnesota Records
Olmsted County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on February 20, 1855 (Organized in 1855) from Fillmore County, Rice County and Wabasha County. The county was named in honor of David Olmsted, first mayor of St. Paul, 1854; member of the council of the first territorial legislature, 1849 and 1850.
Olmsted County Cities and Towns include Byron, Chatfield, Dover, Eyota, Oronoco, Pine Island, Rochester, Stewartville.
Olmsted County Townships include Cascade, Dover, Elmira, Eyota, Farmington, Haverhill, High Forest, Kalmar, Marion, New Haven, Orion, Oronoco, Pleasant Grove, Quincy, Rochester, Rock Dell, Salem, Viola Townships.
A Map of Olmsted County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Olmsted County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Olmsted County, MN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Olmsted county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Olmsted County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from ?1871, Marriage Records from 1855 and Land Records from 1855. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Olmsted County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1864 and Court Records from 1858. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Olmsted County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Olmsted County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Olmsted County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Olmsted County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Olmsted County Historical Society
- Olmsted County Genealogical Society
- Chatfield Historical Society
- Stewartville Area Historical Society
- Minnesota Historical Society Research Center, 1500 Mississippi Street, St. Paul, MN 55101, (612) 296-6980
- Olmsted County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Olmsted County, Minnesota Genealogy Boards
Olmsted County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Olmsted County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Olmsted Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Olmsted County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Olmsted Co. MNGenweb
- Olmsted County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Olmsted County, Minnesota Military Records