Wayne County, Michigan Records
Wayne County, Michigan (Map It) was created on November 21, 1815 from all lands within Michigan Territory that had been ceded by Native Americans through the 1807 Treaty of Detroit. It was an originally County. The county was named for "Mad" Anthony Wayne, (1745-1796):United States Army general and statesman.
Wayne County Cities, Towns & Villages include Allen Park, Belleville, Dearborn Heights, Dearborn, Detroit, Ecorse, Flat Rock, Garden City, Gibraltar, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Hamtramck, Harper Woods, Highland Park, Inkster, Lincoln Park, Livonia, Melvindale, Northville , Plymouth, River Rouge, Riverview, Rockwood, Romulus, Southgate, Taylor, Trenton, Wayne, Westland, Woodhaven, Wyandotte.
Wayne County Townships include Brownstown Charter, Canton Charter, Grosse Ile, Huron Charter, Northville Charter, Plymouth Charter, Redford Charter, Sumpter, Van Buren Charter.
A Map of Wayne County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wayne County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Wayne County, MI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wayne county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Wayne County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1867 and Marriage Records from 1842. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Wayne County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Wayne County Register of Deeds has Land from 1703.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Wayne County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1797. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Wayne County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1818. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Wayne County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wayne County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Wayne County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Canton Historical Society
- Dearborn Genealogical Society
- Dearborn Historical Society 915 Brady Dearborn 48124
- Detroit Society for Genealogical Research Inc
- Detroit Historical Society
- Downriver Genealogical Society
- Flat Rock Historical Society
- Fred Hart Williams Genealogical Society c/o Burton Historical Collection Detroit Public Library 5201 Woodward Avenue Detroit MI 48202
- Lincoln Park Historical Society
- Northville Genealogical Society
- Plymouth Historical Society
- Polish Genealogical Society Of Michigan
- Romulus Historical Society 11121 Wayne Rd. Romulus 48174
- Redford Township Historical and Genealogical Society
- West Side Detroit Polish American Historical Society
- Wayne County Irish Society 31975 Cowan Westland 48185
- Western Wayne County Genealogical Society
- Wyandotte Historical Society
- Wayne County Michigan Message Boards
- Wayne County, Michigan Genealogy Boards
Wayne County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Wayne County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- Wayne Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Wayne County - A Brief History
- Wayne County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- Wayne Co. MIGenweb
- Wayne County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- Wayne County, Michigan Military Records