Oakland County, Michigan Records
Oakland County, Michigan (Map It) was created on January 12, 1819 from Macomb County. The county was named for the numerous "oak openings" in the county. Dr. Bela Hubbard, surveyor of Michigan, described an "oak opening" as "a majestic orchard of oaks and hickories varied by small prairies, grassy lawns and clear lakes." .
Oakland County Cities, Towns & Villages include Auburn Hills, Berkley, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Clarkston, Clawson, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Huntington Woods, Keego Harbor, Lake Angelus, Lathrup Village, Madison Heights, Novi, Oak Park, Orchard Lake Village, Pleasant Ridge, Pontiac, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Royal Oak, South Lyon, Southfield, Sylvan Lake, Troy, Walled Lake, Wixom, Beverly Hills, Bingham Farms, Franklin, Holly, Lake Orion, Leonard, Milford, Ortonville, Oxford, Wolverine Lake.
Oakland County Townships include Addison, Bloomfield Charter, Brandon, Commerce Charter, Groveland, Highland Charter, Holly, Independence Charter, Lyon Charter, Milford Charter, Novi, Oakland Charter, Orion Charter, Oxford Charter, Rose, Royal Oak Charter, Southfield, Springfield, Waterford Charter, West Bloomfield Charter, White Lake.
A Map of Oakland County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Oakland County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Oakland County, MI Courthouse
The Oakland County Courthouse is located in Pontiac, Michigan. Some early records prior to organization on March 28, 1820 may be located in Macomb County. Learn More About State of Michigan Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Oakland county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Oakland County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1867 and Marriage Records from 1827. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Oakland County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Oakland County Register of Deeds has Land from 1821.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Oakland County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1822. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Oakland County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1826. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Oakland County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Oakland County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Oakland County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Auburn Hills Historical Society
- Birmingham Historical Society
- Bulgarian Heritage Society 2706 Tyler Berkley 48072
- Clarkston Historical Society
- Ferndale Historical Society
- Franklin Historical Society
- Highland Township Historical Society P.O. Box 351 Highland MI 48357
- Holly Historical Society 306 S. Saginaw St. Holly MI 48442; Contact: Greta Mackler - 248-634-6246 evenings
- Huron Valley Genealogical Society 1100 Atlantic Street Milford MI 48381
- Lyon Township Genealogical Society 27025 Milford Rd. New Hudson 48165
- Milford Historical Society
- North Oakland Genealogical Society Orion Township Public Library 825 Joslyn Rd. Lake Orion MI 48362; (248) 693-3000
- Northville Genealogical Society
- Northville Historical Society
- Northwest Oakland County Historical Society 306 So. Saginaw St. Holly 48442
- Novi Historical Society P.O. Box 751 Novi 48050
- Oakland County Genealogical Society
- Oakland County Pioneer & Historical Society
- Pontiac Area Historical & Genealogical Society P.O. Box 430901 Pontiac 48343-0901
- Rochester-avon Historical Society
- Springfield Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 203, Davisburg 48019
- South Lyon Area Historical Society
- Troy Historical Society
- White Lake Historical Society
- Wixom Historical Society 49045 Pontiac Tr. Wixom 48096
- Oakland County Michigan Message Boards
- Oakland County, Michigan Genealogy Forum
Oakland County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Oakland County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- Oakland Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Oakland County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- Oakland Co. MIGenweb
- Oakland County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- Oakland County, Michigan Military Records