Chippewa County, Michigan Records
Chippewa County Cities, Towns & Villages include Sault Ste. Marie, De Tour Village.
Chippewa County Townships include Bay Mills, Bruce, Chippewa, Dafter, Detour, Drummond, Hulbert, Kinross Charter, Pickford, Raber, Rudyard, Soo, Sugar Island, Superior, Trout Lake, Whitefish.
A Map of Chippewa County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Chippewa County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Chippewa County, MI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Chippewa county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Chippewa County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1869 and Marriage Records from 1827. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Chippewa County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Chippewa County Register of Deeds has Land from 1826.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Chippewa County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1828. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Chippewa County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1860. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Chippewa County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Chippewa County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Chippewa County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Chippewa County Genealogical Society
- Chippewa County Historical Society
- Bay Mills - Brimley Historical Research Society
- Drummond Island Historical Society Drummond Island 49726
- Kinross Heritage Society
- Pickford Historical Society
- Chippewa County Michigan Message Boards
- Chippewa County, Michigan Genealogy Boards
Chippewa County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Chippewa County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- Chippewa Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Chippewa County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- Chippewa Co. MIGenweb
- Chippewa County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- Chippewa County, Michigan Military Records