Marshall County, Indiana Records
Marshall County, Indiana (Map It) was created on February 7, 1835 from St. Joseph County and Unorganized Land. This county was named for U.S. Chief Justice John Marshall.
Marshall County is bordered by St. Joseph County (north), Elkhart County (northeast), Kosciusko County (east), Fulton County (south), Pulaski County (southwest), Starke County (west).
Marshall County Cities and Towns include Argos, Bourbon, Bremen, Culver, La Paz, Plymouth.
Marshall County Townships include Bourbon, Center, German, Green, North, Polk, Tippecanoe, Union, Walnut, West. See Map of Marshall County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Marshall County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Marshall County, IN Courthouse
The Marshall County Courthouse is located in Plymouth, Indiana. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Marshall county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Marshall County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1836, Probate Records from 1834 and Court Records from 1837. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Marshall County Recorder has Land Records from 1834. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Marshall County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Marshall County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Marshall County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Marshall County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Marshall County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Marshall County Historian, Linda Rippy, 430 Clark St., Plymouth, IN 46563-2805; Home Phone: (574) 936-4346
- Antiquarian and Historical Society of Culver
- Historic Bremen, P.O. Box 471, Bremen, IN 46506-0471
- Marshall County Historical Society
- Marshall County Genealogical Society, 3383 E Eights Rd, Bourbon 46504
- Marshall County, Indiana Message Boards
Marshall County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Marshall County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Marshall County
- Marshall County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Marshall Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Marshall County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Marshall Co. INGenweb
- Marshall County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Marshall County, Indiana Military Records