Starke County, Indiana Records
Starke County, Indiana (Map It) was created on January 15, 1844 from St. Joseph County and Unorganized Land. This county was named for Gen. John Stark, hero of the American Revolutionary War.
Starke County is bordered by LaPorte County (north), St. Joseph County (northeast), Marshall County (east), Fulton County (southeast), Pulaski County (south), Jasper County (west), Porter County (northwest).
Starke County Cities and Towns include Hamlet, Knox, North Judson.
Starke County Townships include California, Center, Davis, Jackson, North Bend, Oregon, Railroad, Washington, Wayne. See Map of Starke County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Starke County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Starke County, IN Courthouse
The Starke County Courthouse is located in Knox, Indiana. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Starke county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Starke County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1840, Probate Records from 1850 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Starke County Recorder has Land Records from 1850. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Starke County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Starke County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1894. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Starke County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Starke County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Starke County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Starke County Historian, Edward Hasnerl, 6350 E. County Road 25 N., Knox, IN 46534; Home Phone: (574) 772-3972, Work Phone (574) 772-6241
- Starke County Genealogical Society of Indiana
- Starke County Historical Society
- Starke County, Indiana Message Boards
Starke County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Starke County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Starke County
- Starke County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Starke Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Starke County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Steuben Co. INGenweb
- Starke County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Starke County, Indiana Military Records