Bartholomew County, Indiana Records
Bartholomew County, Indiana (Map It) was created on January 8, 1821 from Delaware New Purchase and Jackson County. This county was named for Lt. Col. Joseph Bartholomew, a hero of the Battle of Tippecanoe.
Bartholomew County Cities and Towns include Clifford, Columbus, Edinburgh, Elizabethtown, Hartsville, Hope, Jonesville, Taylorsville.
Bartholomew County Townships include Clay, Clifty, Columbus, Flat Rock, German, Harrison, Haw Creek, Jackson, Ohio, Rock Creek, Sand Creek, Wayne. See Map of Bartholomew County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Bartholomew County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Bartholomew County, IN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Bartholomew county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Bartholomew County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1821, Probate Records from 1821 and Court Records from 1821. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Bartholomew County Recorder has Land Records from 1822. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Bartholomew County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Bartholomew County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Bartholomew County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Bartholomew County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Bartholomew County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Bartholomew County Historian, 1130 Franklin St., Columbus, IN 47201-5710; Home Phone: (812) 376-8826
- Bartholomew County Archives Department, 234 Washington Street, Columbus, IN 47201; Phone 812-379-1503
- Bartholomew Historical Society
- Bartholomew Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2455, Columbus, IN 47202
- Bartholomew County, Indiana Message Boards
Bartholomew County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Bartholomew County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Bartholomew County
- Bartholomew County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Bartholomew Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Bartholomew County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Bartholomew Co. INGenweb
- Bartholomew County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Bartholomew County, Indiana Military Records