Wayne County, Georgia Records
Wayne County, Georgia (Map It) was created on May 11, 1803 from Creek Cession of 1802. Portion of Wayne County was used to create Brantley County in 1920. Wayne County was named in honor of General Anthony Wayne (1745 - 96) -- known as "Mad Anthony Wayne". A U.S. Congressman and a hero of the Revolutionary War and the Northwest Indian War.
Wayne County is bordered by Tattnall County (north), Long County (northeast), McIntosh County (east), Glynn County (southeast), Brantley County (south), Pierce County (southwest), Appling County (northwest).
A Map of Wayne County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wayne County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Wayne County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wayne county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Wayne County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1809 and Court Records from 1809. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1805, 1807, 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Wayne County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1809 and Probate Records from 1809.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Wayne County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Wayne County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Wayne County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wayne County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Wayne County, Georgia Resources
- Wayne County Historical Society, 125 NE Broad St ; Jesup , GA 31546-4370 ; (912) 427-3991
- Wayne County, Georgia Message Boards
Wayne County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Wayne County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Wayne Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Wayne County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Wayne County, GA History
- Wayne Co. GAGenweb
- Wayne County Historical Chronology
- Wayne County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Wayne County
- Wayne County, Georgia Military Records