Telfair County, Georgia Records
Telfair County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 10, 1807 from Wilkinson County. Telfair County was named in honor of Edward Telfair (1735 - 1807), the second Governor of Georgia following the establishment of the United States.
A Map of Telfair County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Telfair County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Telfair County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Telfair county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Telfair County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1809 and Court Records from 1810. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1805, 1807, 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Telfair County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1810 and Probate Records from 1831.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Telfair County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Telfair County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Telfair County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Telfair County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Telfair County, Georgia Resources
- Pioneer Historical Society
- Central Georgia Genealogial Society
- Wiregrass Genealogical Society
- Ocmulgee Regional Library System
- Telfair County, Georgia Message Boards
Telfair County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Telfair County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Telfair Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Telfair County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Telfair County, GA History
- Telfair Co. GAGenweb
- Telfair County Historical Chronology
- Telfair County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Telfair County
- Telfair County, Georgia Military Records