Wilkinson County, Georgia Records
Wilkinson County, Georgia (Map It) was created on May 11, 1803 from Creek Cessions of 1802 and 1805. Wilkinson County was named in honor of General James Wilkinson (1757 - 1825), a hero of the Revolutionary War and of the War of 1812.
A Map of Wilkinson County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wilkinson County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Wilkinson County, GA Courthouse
The Wilkinson County Courthouse is located in Irwinton, Georgia. The County Corthouse was destroyed by fire in 1824 & 1854, all records were destroyed. The courthouse was also burned down with minimal loss of records in 1864 (Sherman's Troops) and in 1924.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wilkinson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Wilkinson County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1855 and Court Records from 1855. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1805, 1807, 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Wilkinson County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1854 and Probate Records from 1854.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Wilkinson County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Wilkinson County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Wilkinson County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wilkinson County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Wilkinson County, Georgia Resources
- Wilkinson County Historical Society
- Savannah River Valley Genealogical Society
- Wiregrass Genealogical Society
- Wilkinson County, Georgia Message Boards
Wilkinson County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Wilkinson County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Cemeteries of Wilkinson County, Georgia
- Wilkinson Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Wilkinson County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Wilkinson County, GA History
- Wilkinson Co. GAGenweb
- Wilkinson County Historical Chronology
- Wilkinson County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Wilkinson County
- Wilkinson County, Georgia Military Records