Walton County, Florida Records
Walton County Cities and Towns include DeFuniak Springs, Freeport, Paxton.
A Map of Walton County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Walton Co. Historical Events:
- The county was first settled largely by Scotchmen.
- The county was raided by Federal troops during the Civil War but no battles took place.
- Florida's first Chautauqua Association formed here in 1885.
Walton County, Florida Courthouse Records
Walton County, FL Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Walton county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Walton County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1885, Land Records from 1886, Probate Records from 1882 and Court Records from 1886. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Walton County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Walton County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Walton County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830 (Florida Territory), 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Walton County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Walton County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Walton County, Florida Message Boards
Walton County, Florida External Links
- Florida Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Walton County, Florida Books - Amazon
- Walton Co., Florida - FindaGrave
- Florida Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Walton County Courthouse History
- Walton County, Florida Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Florida (1823 - 1959)
- Walton Co. FLGenweb
- Walton County, Florida Ancestry Database Collections
- Walton County maps from Exploring Florida website
- Walton County, Florida Military Records