Columbia County, Arkansas Records
Columbia County, Arkansas (Map It) was created on December 17, 1852 and was formed from LaFayette County, Hempstead County, Ouachita County and Union County. Parts of Columbia County was used to form Nevada in 1871.
Other county boundry changes occured when Part of Union annexed 21 December 1858, line with Nevada defined 19 April 1873, part annexed to Lafayette 29 April 1901. Columbia County was named in honor of Columbia, a female personification of the United States.
Columbia County is bordered by Nevada County (north), Ouachita County (northeast), Union County (east), Claiborne Parish, Louisiana (southeast), Webster Parish, Louisiana (south), Lafayette County (west)
Columbia County Cities and Towns include Emerson, Magnolia, McNeil, Taylor, Waldo.
A Map of Columbia County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries..
Columbia County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Columbia County, AR Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Columbia county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Columbia County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1853, Land Records from 1853 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Columbia County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1853 and has Probate Records from 1853. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Columbia County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Columbia County Health Department
Columbia County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Columbia County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Columbia County, Arkansas Resources
Columbia County, Arkansas External Links
- Arkansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Columbia County, Arkansas Books - Amazon
- Columbia Co., Arkansas - FindaGrave
- Arkansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Columbia Co. ARGenweb
- Columbia County, Arkansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Arkansas (1819 - 1999)
- Columbia County, Arkansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Columbia County, Arkansas Military Records