Winston County, Alabama Records
Winston County, Alabama (Map It) was created on February 12, 1850 from territory formerly in Walker County. Originally named Hancock County and was Renamed Winston County on January 22, 1858. Winston county was named for Gov. John Hancock of Massachusetts and John A. Winston (1812–1871), 15th Governor of Alabama.
Winston County Cities and Towns include Addison, Arley, Delmar, Double Springs, Haleyville, Lynn, Natural Bridge, Nauvoo, South Haleyville, Houston.
A Map of Winston County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Winston County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Winston County, AL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Winston county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Winston County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1892 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Winston County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1891, Probate Records from 1891 and Land Records from 1891.
- Winston County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Winston County Health Department has Birth Records from 1888-1918 , Death records from 1888-1918.
Winston County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Winston County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Winston County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Winston County Genealogical Society
- Houston Historical Society
- Free State of Winston Historical Society
- Haleyville Public Library, 205-486-7450
- Winston County, Alabama Message Boards
Winston County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Winston County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Winston Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- WINSTON COUNTY, ALABAMA: AN HISTORICAL ONLINE DATABASE
- Winston Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Winston County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Winston County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Winston County, Alabama Military Records