Russell County, Alabama Records
Russell County, Alabama (Map It) was created on December 18, 1832 in the Creek Cession of 1832 from former Creek Indian territory. Russell county was named in honor of Col. Gilbert C. Russell of Mobile, a U.S. military officer who fought in the Creek Wars.
Russell County is bordered by Lee County (north), Muscogee County, Georgia (northeast), Chattahoochee County, Georgia (east), Stewart County, Georgia (southeast), Barbour County (south), Bullock County (southwest), Macon County (northwest).
Russell County Cities and Towns include Glenville (unincorporated), Hurtsboro, Ladonia, Phenix City, Seale.
A Map of Russell County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Russell County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Russell County, AL Courthouse
Old Russell County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Randolph county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Russell County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1832 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Russell County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1828, Probate Records from 1832 and Land Records from 1832.
- Russell County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Russell County Health Department has Birth Records from 1934 , Death records from 1934.
Russell County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Russell County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Russell County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Russell County Historical Commission, 1040 Broad Street, Phenix City, AL 36867; 334-297-8225
- Phenix City Public Library, 334-297-1139
- Russell County, Alabama Message Boards
Russell County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Russell County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Russell Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Russell Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Russell County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Russell County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Russell County, Alabama Military Records