Stewart County, Georgia Records
Stewart County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 23, 1830 from Randolph County. Portions of Stewart County were used to create Quitman County in 1858 . Stewart County was named in honor of General Daniel Stewart (1759 - 1829), a hero of the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.
Stewart County is bordered by Chattahoochee County (north), Webster County (east), Randolph County (south), Quitman County (southwest), Barbour County, Alabama (west), Russell County, Alabama (northwest)
A Map of Stewart County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Stewart County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Stewart County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Stewart county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Stewart County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1830 and Court Records from 1830. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Stewart County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1828 and Probate Records from 1830.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Stewart County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Stewart County Assessors Office
- The Stewart County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Stewart County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Stewart County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Stewart County, Georgia Resources
Stewart County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Stewart County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Stewart Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Stewart County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Stewart County, GA History
- Stewart Co. GAGenweb
- Stewart County Historical Chronology
- Stewart County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Stewart County
- Stewart County, Georgia Military Records