Wood County, Wisconsin Records
Wood County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Marshfield, Nekoosa, Pittsville, Wisconsin Rapids, Arpin, Auburndale, Cameron, Cary, Cranmoor, Dexter, Grand Rapids, Hansen, Hiles, Lincoln, Marshfield, Milladore, Port Edwards, Remington, Richfield, Rock, Rudolph, Saratoga, Seneca, Sherry, Sigel, Wood, Arpin, Auburndale, Biron, Hewitt, Milladore, Port Edwards, Rudolph, Vesper.
A Map of Wood County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wood County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Wood County, WI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wood county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Wood County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1871 , Marriage Records from 1867, Death Records from 1872 and Land Records from 1836. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Wood County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1858. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Wood County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1872?. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Wood County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Wood County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wood County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Wood County, Wisconsin Resources
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
- Heart O' Wisconsin Genealogical Society
- Marshfield Area Genealogy Group
- North Wood County Historical Society
- South Wood County Historical Corp
- Wood County, Wisconsin Message Boards
Wood County, Wisconsin External Links
- Wisconsin Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune (Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin)
- The Daily Tribune (Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin)
- The Grand Rapids Tribune (Grand Rapids, Wisconsin)
- Centralia Enterprise and Tribune (Centralia, Wisconsin)
- The Grand Rapids Daily Tribune (Grand Rapids, Wisconsin)
- Wood County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Wood Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- The Duval Family of Unity and Marshfield Wisconsin
- Wood County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List
- Wood Co. WIGenweb
- Wood County, Wisconsin Ancestry Database Collections
- Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records: Original Field Notes & Plat Maps for Wood County
- Wood County, Wisconsin Military Records