Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Records
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (Map It) was created on September 6, 1834 from Brown County amd Iowa County. The county was named for, a Native American word meaning "gathering place by the river".Learn More About State of Wisconsin History
Milwaukee County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Cudahy, Franklin, Glendale, Greenfield, Milwaukee, Oak Creek, South Milwaukee, St. Francis, Wauwatosa, West Allis, Bayside, Brown Deer, Fox Point, Greendale, Hales Corners, River Hills, Shorewood, West Milwaukee, Whitefish Bay.
A Map of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Milwaukee County, WI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records. Milwaukee County was attached to Brown County for judicial purposes from 1834–35. Some early records may be found there.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Milwaukee county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Milwaukee County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1835, Marriage Records from 1836, Death Records from 1872 and Land Records from 1836. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Milwaukee County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1838. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Milwaukee County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1837. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Milwaukee County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1836, 1838, 1842, 1846, 1847, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Resources
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
- Bay View Historical Society
- Brown Deer Historical Society, 4800 W Green Brook Dr, Brown Deer, WI 53223; Phone: 414-354-4116
- Cudahy Historical Society
- Franklin Historical Society
- Greendale Historical Society
- Greenfield Historical Society
- Hales Corners Historical Society
- Historic Milwaukee, Inc
- Milwaukee County Genealogical Society
- Milwaukee County Historical Center
- Milwaukee Maritime Center, 500 N Harbor Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53202; Phone: 414-276-5664
- Milwaukee Metropolitan Historians Assn, 2588 N Prospect Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53211; Phone: 414-964-8361
- Oak Creek Historical Society
- Shorewood Historical Society
- South Milwaukee Historical Society
- St Francis Historical Society
- Wauwatosa Historical Society
- West Allis Historical Society
- West Milwaukee Historical Society, 1665 S 52nd St, West Milwaukee, WI 53214; Phone: 414-321-9059
- Whitefish Bay Historical Society, 5166 N Berkeley Blvd, Whitefish Bay, WI 53217; Phone: 414-962-0606
- Wisconsin Black Historical Society
- Wisconsin Labor History Society
- Wisconsin Marine Historical Society
- Wisconsin Slovak Historical Society
- Wisconsin State Old Cemetery Society
- Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Message Boards
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Daily Sentinel And Gazette (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Das Tagliche Banner (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Banner Und Volksfreund Vereinigte Tagliche Stadt-A (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Wisconsin Banner (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Atlas Tagliche Ausgabe (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Taglicher Volksfreund (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukee Sentinel And Gazette (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukee Daily Sentinel And Gazette (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Weekly Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukee Sentinel (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukee Daily Sentinel (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Wisconsin Free Democrat (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Daily Free Democrat (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukie Commercial Herald (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Der Volksfreund (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) (in German)
- Milwaukee Daily Courier (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Evening Courier (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukee Daily Gazette (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukee Advertiser (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- American Freeman (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukie Journal (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukie Semi-Weekly Gazette (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukee Weekly Sentinel (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Voice-Herald (Hales Corners, Wisconsin)
- Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Milwaukee Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List
- Milwaukee Co. WIGenweb
- Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Ancestry Database Collections
- Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records: Original Field Notes & Plat Maps for Milwaukee County
- Semi-centennial services of the First Congregational Church of Wauwatosa, Wis. : with sketches of early members : 1842-1892.
- U.S. National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, 1866-1938
- Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Military Records
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin Directory, 1889-90
- Milwaukee Elite, 1891-92