Langlade County, Wisconsin Records
Langlade County, Wisconsin (Map It) was created on February 27, 1879 from Oconto County. The county was named in honor of Charles de Langlade (1729 – c.1800), American Revolutionary War veteran and United States Indian Agent in Green Bay.
Langlade County is bordered by Oneida County (northwest), Forest County (northeast), Oconto County (east), Menominee County (southeast), Shawano County (south), Marathon County (southwest), Lincoln County (west).
Langlade County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Antigo, Ackley, Ainsworth, Antigo, Elcho, Evergreen, Langlade, Neva, Norwood, Parrish, Peck, Polar, Price, Rolling, Summit, Upham, Vilas, Wolf River, White Lake.
A Map of Langlade County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Langlade County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Langlade County, WI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records. Langlade County was attached to Shawano County for county and judicial purposes from 1879–81. Some early records may be found there.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Langlade county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Langlade County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1882, Marriage Records from 1881, Death Records from 1882 and Land Records from 1858. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Langlade County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1881. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Langlade County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1881. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Langlade County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Langlade County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Langlade County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Langlade County, Wisconsin Resources
- Langlade County Genealogical Society
- Langlade County Historical Society
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
- Langlade County, Wisconsin Message Boards
Langlade County, Wisconsin External Links
- Wisconsin Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Langlade County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Langlade Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- Langlade County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List
- Langlade Co. WIGenweb
- Langlade County, Wisconsin Ancestry Database Collections
- Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records: Original Field Notes & Plat Maps for Langlade County
- Langlade County, Wisconsin Military Records