Forest County, Wisconsin Records
Forest County, Wisconsin (Map It) was created on April 11, 1885 from Langlade County. The county was named ifor the Forest which covered the area when it was settled.Learn More About State of Wisconsin History
Forest County is bordered by Florence County (northeast), Marinette County (east), Oconto County (southeast), Langlade County (southwest), Oneida County (west), Vilas County (northwest), Iron County, Michigan (north).
Forest County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Crandon, Alvin, Argonne, Armstrong Creek, Blackwell, Caswell, Crandon, Freedom, Hiles, Laona, Lincoln, Nashville, Popple River, Ross, Wabeno.
A Map of Forest County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Forest County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Forest County, WI Courthouse
The Forest County Courthouse is located in Crandon, Wisconsin. Learn More About State of Wisconsin Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Forest county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Forest County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1891, Marriage Records from 1886, Death Records from 1891 and Land Records from 1865. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Forest County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1887. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Forest County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1885. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Forest County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Forest County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1885, 1895, 1905
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Forest County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Forest County, Wisconsin Resources
- Forest County Historical and Genealogical Society
- Forest History Association of Wisconsin
- Area Research Center - Wisconsin Historical Society History Center and Archives
- Forest County, Wisconsin Message Boards
Forest County, Wisconsin External Links
- Wisconsin Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Forest County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Forest Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- Forest County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List
- Forest Co. WIGenweb
- Forest County, Wisconsin Ancestry Database Collections
- Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records: Original Field Notes & Plat Maps for Forest County
- Forest County, Wisconsin Military Records