Iron County, Michigan Records
Iron County is bordered by Houghton County (north), Baraga County (north), Marquette County (northeast), Ontonagon County (northwest), Dickinson County (east), Gogebic County (west) Florence County, Wisconsin (southeast), Forest County, Wisconsin (south) Vilas County, Wisconsin (southwest).
Iron County Cities, Towns & Villages include Caspian, Crystal Falls, Gaastra, Iron River, Alpha.
Iron County Townships include Bates, Crystal Falls, Hematite, Iron River, Mansfield, Mastodon, Stambaugh.
A Map of Iron County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Iron County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Iron County, MI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Iron county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Iron County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1895 and Marriage Records from 1895. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Iron County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Iron County Register of Deeds has Land from 1855.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Iron County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1886. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Iron County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1895. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Iron County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Iron County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Iron County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Iron County Historical Society & Museum
- Iron County Michigan Genealogical Society
- Iron County Michigan Message Boards
- Iron County, Michigan Genealogy Boards
Iron County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Iron County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- Iron Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Iron County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- Iron Co. MIGenweb
- Iron County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- Iron County, Michigan Military Records