Dickinson County, Michigan Records
Dickinson County, Michigan (Map It) was created on May 21, 1891 from Iron County, Marquette County and Menominee County. The county was named for Donald M. Dickinson (1846-1917): Postmaster General in the Cleveland Administration.
Dickinson County Cities, Towns & Villages include Iron Mountain, Kingsford, Norway.
Dickinson County Townships include Breen, Breitung, Felch, Norway, Sagola, Waucedah, West Branch.
A Map of Dickinson County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Dickinson County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Dickinson County, MI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Dickinson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Dickinson County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1891 and Marriage Records from 1891. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Dickinson County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Dickinson County Register of Deeds has Land from 1891.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Dickinson County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1891. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Dickinson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1891. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Dickinson County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Dickinson County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Dickinson County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Dickinson County Genealogical Society c/o Dickinson County Library 401 Iron Mountain Street Iron Mountain MI 48901-3435
- Menominee Range Historical Foundation
- Dickinson County Michigan Message Boards
- Dickinson County, Michigan Genealogy Boards
Dickinson County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Dickinson County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- Dickinson Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Dickinson County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- Dickinson Co. MIGenweb
- Dickinson County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- Dickinson County, Michigan Military Records