Jackson County, West Virginia Records
Jackson County, West Virginia (Map It) was created on March 1, 1831 from portions of Kanawha County, Mason County and Wood County. The county was named in honor of Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), President of the United States (1829-1837).
Jackson County is bordered by Wood County (north), Wirt County (northeast), Roane County (east), Kanawha County (south), Putnam County (southeast), Mason County (west), Meigs County, Ohio (northwest).
A Map of Jackson County, West Virginia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jackson County Cities and Towns include Advent, Cottageville, Duncan, Evans, Gay, Given, Kenna, Kentuck, Le Roy, Liverpool, Millwood, Mount Alto, Murraysville, Ravenswood, Ripley, Rock Castle, Romance, Sandyville, Sherman, Statts Mills
Jackson County, West Virginia Courthouse Records
Jackson County, WV Courthouse
The Jackson County Courthouse is located in Ripley, West Virginia. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jackson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
- Jackson County Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1853, Marriage Records from 1831, Land Records from 1831 and Probate Records from 1831.
- Jackson County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1831.
Jackson County, West Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Virginia, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1607-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jackson County, West Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1917 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1921 to present.
- Divorce Records: from 1968 to present
- Locations: West Virginia Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Registration, Division of Health, 350 Capitol St, Rm 165, Charleston, WV 25301-3701; (304) 558-2931; Info: (304) 558-2931
Jackson County, West Virginia Resources
- Jackson County Historical Society, P. O. Box 22, Ripley, WV 25271
- Jackson County Library
- Jackson County, West Virginia Message Boards
- Jackson County, West Virginia Genealogy Boards
Jackson County, West Virginia External Links
- West Virginia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from West Virginia (1808 - 1904)
- Jackson County, West Virginia Books - Amazon
- Jackson Co., West Virginia - FindaGrave
- Jackson County Encyclopedia
- Jackson County, West Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Jackson Co. WVGenweb
- Jackson County, West Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Jackson County, West Virginia Military Records