Southampton County, Virginia Records
Southampton County, Virginia (Map It) was created in April 20, 1749 from Isle of Wight County. Part of Nansemond County was added in 1785. Southampton county was named for either Southampton, England or Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton, one of the founders of the Virginia Company.
Southampton County is bordered by Greensville County (west), Sussex County (northwest), Surry County (north), Isle of Wight County (northeast), Hertford County, North Carolina (south), Northampton County, North Carolina (southwest).
Southampton County Cities and Towns include Boykins, Branchville, Capron, Courtland, Ivor and Newsoms .
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Virginia maps.
Southampton County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Southampton County, VA Courthouse
The Southampton County Courthouse is located in Courtland, Virginia. The first courthouse was built in 1752 on the east bank of the Nottoway River where the present courthouse now stands. The current courthouse building is the latest of several which have served the county. It was constructed in 1834 and extensively remodeled in 1924. Later a new county office building was added in 1960.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Southampton County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
- Southampton County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1750, Land Records from 1749, Court Records from 1749 and Probate Records from 1749.
- Southampton County Commissioner of Revenue
- Southampton County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
Southampton County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Southampton County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Southampton County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- Southampton County Historical Society
- Walter Cecil Rawls Library and Museum
- Southampton County, Virginia Message Boards
- Southampton County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Southampton County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Southampton Co. Virginia
Southampton County, Virginia External Links
- Virginia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Southampton County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Wills and Administrations of Southampton County, Virginia, 1749-1800
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Southampton Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- Southampton County, Virginia - Our History
- Southampton County, Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Southampton Co. VAGenweb
- Southampton County, Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units
- Southampton County, Virginia Military Records