James City County, Virginia Records
James City County, Virginia (Map It) was created in 1617 as one of the original eight shires. Part of New Kent County was added later. Part of York County was added in 1852. James City county was named for King James I of England..
James City County Cities and Towns include Croaker, Diascund, Five Forks, Grove, Indigo Park, Jamestown, Kingspoint, Kingsmill, Lightfoot, Norge and Toano .
James City County, Virginia Courthouse Records
James City County, VA Courthouse
Old James City County, VA Courthouse
The James City County Courthouse is located in Williamsburg, Virginia. The current courthouse was built in 1999. The original, as seen in Colonial Williamsburg, was built in 1770. It is Early Georgian with a cupola and pedimented façade, shutters. The interior has been reconstructed to look as the original. James City County was one of the original shires. It straddled the James River until 1646. The court was in Jamestown and did not move to Williamsburg until 1715. The courthouse house serves both James City County and Williamsburg. During the Peninsula campaign of the Civil War Union troops occupied Williamsburg from 1682. Like Hanover and other counties the records were sent to Richmond for safe keeping. They were destroyed in the fire of 1865.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The James City County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
All county court records were lost in 1865, Tax Records (1768-69) were saved.
- James City County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1865, Land Records from 1854, Court Records from 1865 and Probate Records from 1865.
- James City County (VA) Treasurer
- James City County Real Estate Assessments
- Williamsburg/James City County Office, WIC Clinic, Vital Records, 1126 Professional Drive , Williamsburg, VA 23185; (757) 253-4813
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
James City County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
James City County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
James City County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- James City County Historical Commission
- James City County, Virginia Message Boards
- James City County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- James City County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in James City Co. Virginia
James City County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- James City County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- James City County Virginia Birth Records, 1853-96
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- James City Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- Early Virginia Families Along the James River: Their Deep Roots and Tangled Branches, Vol. III
- 1607, Jamestown exposition, 1907, Hampton Roads, Virginia
- James City County, Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- James City Co. VAGenweb
- James City County, Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units
- James City County, Virginia Military Records