Multnomah County, Oregon Records
Multnomah County, Oregon (Map It) was created on December 22, 1854 from the eastern portion of Washington County and the northern part of Clackamas County. The county was named for the Indian village of Multnomah, on Sauvie Island. The word is derived from nematlnomaq, probably meaning downriver. Lewis and Clark made note of the name in 1805, and applied that name to all local Indians. ..
Multnomah County is bordered by Clark County, Washington (north), Skamania County, Washington (northeast), Hood River County (east), Clackamas County (south), Washington County (west), Columbia County (northwest).
Multnomah County Cities and Towns include Fairview, Gresham, Lake Oswego , Maywood Park, Portland, Troutdale, Wood Village. A Map of Multnomah County, Oregon contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Multnomah County, Oregon Courthouse Records
Multnomah County, OR Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Multnomah county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Multnomah County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1855 and Land Records from 1849. The County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Multnomah County Circuit Court Clerk has Court Records from 1850 and Probate Records from 1849. The County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Multnomah County Records Inventory The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
Multnomah County, Oregon Census Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territory & State Population Schedules: 1854, 1855, 1856, 1857, 1858, 1859, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905.
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Multnomah County, Oregon Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1903 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1911 to present
- Divorce Records: from 1925 to present
- Locations: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, Oregon State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, 800 NE Oregon Street, Ste 205, Portland, OR 97293; (971) 673-1190
Multnomah County, Oregon Resources
- Fairview Rockwood Wilkes Historical Society
- Multnomah Historical Association
- David Douglas Historical Society
- Multnomah County, Oregon Message Boards
- Multnomah County, Oregon Genealogy Boards
Multnomah County, Oregon External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Oregon (1816 - 1923)
- Morning Oregonian (Portland, Oregon)
- The Weekly Oregonian (Portland, Oregon)
- The Oregonian (Portland, Oregon)
- Daily Oregonian (Portland, Oregon)
- Multnomah County, Oregon Books - Amazon
- Portland, Oregon Deaths, 1915-1924
- Multnomah Co., Oregon - FindaGrave
- History and directory of the First Presbyterian Church, corner of Alder and Tenth Streets, Portland, Oregon
- Portland, Oregon, its history and builders : in connection with the antecedent explorations, discoveries, and movements of the
- Multnomah County, Oregon Links - Cyndi's List
- Multnomah Co. ORGenweb
- Multnomah County, Oregon Ancestry Database Collections
- Multnomah County, Oregon Military Records
- Portland, Oregon Directories, 1890-91