Skamania County, Washington Records
Skamania County, Washington (Map It) was created on March 9, 1854 from Clark County. The county was abolished by the Legislature on January 14, 1865. The county was divided into Clark County and Klickitat County. One year later, January 31, 1867, the abolition was revoked and Skamania County was re-established. The county was namedfor a Chinookan word meaning "swift water". The county is bisected north and south by the Cascade Mountains and contains Mount St. Helens, the most active volcano in the continental United States. The county is heavily forested and its economy depends primarily on logging and the wood products industry. Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River touches Skamania County and gave impetus to the county's economy. Fishing on the river has also provided a source of income to the county. .
Skamania County is bordered by Lewis County (north), Yakima County (northeast), Klickitat County (east), Hood River County, Oregon (south), Multnomah County, Oregon (southwest), Clark County (west), Cowlitz County (west).
Skamania County Cities and Towns include North Bonneville, Stevenson..
A Map of Skamania County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Skamania County, Washington Courthouse Records
Skamania County, WA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Skamania County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Skamania County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1891 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1892 and Land Records from 1854 . The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Skamania County Clerk has Court Records from 1854 and Probate Records from 1854 . The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Skamania County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Skamania County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Skamania County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Skamania County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Skamania County, Washington Resources
- Washington State Archives, Southwest Regional Branch
- Skamania County Historical Society, PO Box 396, Stevenson, WA 98648.
- Fort Vancouver Regional Library
- Skamania County, Washington Message Boards
- Skamania County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
Skamania County, Washington External Links
- Washington Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Skamania County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Skamania Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- Skamania County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Skamania Co. WAGenweb
- Skamania County, Washington Ancestry Database Collections
- Skamania County, Washington Military Records
- Washington, Postmaster Indexes, Prior to 1965
- Washington gazetteer and business directory : 1901-1902.