Madison County, Montana Records
Madison County, Montana (Map It) was created on February 02, 1865 from Montana Territory as a Original County. The county was named James Madison (1751 - 1836), the fourth President of the United States and the Secretary of State at the time of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Madison County Cities and Towns include Ennis, Sheridan, Ruby, Alder, Twin Bridges, Virginia City. A Map of Madison County, Montana contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Madison County, Montana Courthouse Records
Madison County, MT Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Madison county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Madison County Clerk and Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1903 and Land Records from 1865. The County Clerk and Recorder responsibilities include but are not limited to, recording and maintaining the majority of all the legal documents relating to real estate records, land descriptions, plats and surveys, county birth and death records and the records of the Board of County commissioners.
- Madison County Clerk of District Court has Marriage / Divorce Records from 1864, Probate Records from 1865 and Court Records from 1865. The County Clerk of District Court is responsible for all District Court records. These records include Adoption, Civil, Criminal, Dependent Neglect, Domestic Relations, Guardianship, Juvenile, Paternity, Probate and Sanity cases. The clerk also issues, files and records all Madison County Marriage license applications and license.
Madison County, Montana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Montana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Indian Census Records: 1885-1940
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Madison County, Montana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Montana Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from late 1907 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: indexes from July 1943 to present. Copies of marriage and divorce records are available from the Clerk of District Court.
- Locations: Montana Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, MT Dept. of Public Health and Human Services, 111 North Sanders, Rm 209, Helena, MT 59604-4210; (406) 444-2685
Madison County, Montana Resources
Madison County, Montana External Links
- Montana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Madison County, Montana Books - Amazon
- Madison Co., Montana - FindaGrave
- Madison County, Montana Links - Cyndi's List
- Montana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Historical Newspapers from Montana (1866–1922)
- Madison Co. MTGenweb
- Madison County, Montana Ancestry Database Collections
- Madison County, Montana Military Records