Hinds County, Mississippi Records
Hinds County, Mississippi (Map It) was created on February 12, 1821 from Un-Organized Land. The county was named in honor of Thomas Hinds, War of 1812 general .
Hinds County is bordered by Madison County (northeast), Rankin County (east), Copiah County (south), Claiborne County (southwest), Warren County (west) and Yazoo County (northwest).
Hinds County Cities and Towns include Clinton, Jackson , Raymond, Byram, Bolton, Edwards, Learned, Terry, Utica.
A Map of Hinds County, Mississippi contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hinds County, Mississippi Courthouse Records
Hinds County, MS Courthouse
The Hinds County Courthouse is located in Jackson, Mississippi and Raymond, Mississippi. The Raymond Courthouse has records from 1821, land grant, will, deed, marriage, and on and on. It dates from 1821. The Jackson Courthouse was built in 1930 and it only has limited information that is of early historical significance for Hinds County. Jackson is now called the 1st judicial district, and Raymond is now called the 2nd judicial district. Marriages at Raymond actually date from 1815, even though Hinds County was not formed until 1821 after the Choctaw Sessionof 1820. Learn More About State of Mississippi Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hinds county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Hinds County Chancery Court Clerk has Land Records from Raymond 1821/ Jackson 1930 , Probate Records from Raymond 1823/ Jackson 1930 and Divorce Records from see Clerk. The County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records.
- Hinds County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from Raymond 1815/ Jackson 1930 and Court Records from Raymond 1821/ Jackson 1930. The County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Hinds County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- Hinds County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Hinds County, Mississippi Census Records
- Learn More: State of Mississippi Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hinds County, Mississippi Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Mississippi Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from November 1, 1912 to present
- Marriage Records: has statistical marriage records only from January 1926 to July 1, 1938, and since January 1942. to present
- Divorce Records: has divorce indexes from January 1926 to present
- Locations: Mississippi Office of Vital Statistics, Mississippi State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications..
- In Person: Mississippi Vital Records, State Dept of Health, 571 Stadium Dr., Jackson, MS 39215; (601) 576-7960
Hinds County, Mississippi Resources
- Mississippi Department of Archives and History
- Mississippi Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5301, Jackson, MS 39216
- Mississippi Historical Society
- Mississippi Society of the Sons of the American Revolution
- Family Research Association of Mississippi, P.O. Box 13334, Jackson, MS 39236-3334
- Clinton Genealogical & Historical Society, John Noel, 709 Tanglewood Drive, Clinton, MS 39056, Phone: 601-924-5544
- Utica Heritage Society, Inc., Mary Collins Landin, P. O. Box 129, Utica, MS 39175; Phone: 601-885-8683
- Hinds County, Mississippi Message Boards
- Hinds County, Mississippi Genealogy Boards
Hinds County, Mississippi External Links
- Mississippi Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Hinds County, Mississippi Books - Amazon
- Hinds Co., Mississippi - FindaGrave
- Mississippi Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Hinds County, Mississippi Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Mississippi (1818 - 1964)
- Hinds Co. MSGenweb
- Hinds County, Mississippi Ancestry Database Collections
- Hinds County, Mississippi Military Records