Todd County, Minnesota Records
Todd County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on February 20, 1855 (Organized in 1873) from Cass County. The county was named in honor of John Blair Smith Todd, commander of Fort Ripley (1849-56); general in the Civil War; delegate in Congress from Dakota Territory, 1861 and 1863-65; governor of Dakota Territory, 1869-71.
Todd County is bordered by Wadena County (north), Cass County (northeast), Morrison County (east), Stearns County (south), Douglas County (west), Otter Tail County (northwest).
Todd County Cities and Towns include Bertha, Browerville, Burtrum, Clarissa, Eagle Bend, Grey Eagle, Hewitt, Long Prairie, Osakis, Staples, West Union.
Todd County Townships include Bartlett, Bertha, Birchdale, Bruce, Burleene, Burnhamville, Eagle Valley, Fawn Lake, Germania, Gordon, Grey Eagle, Hartford, Iona, Kandota, Leslie, Little Elk, Little Sauk, Long Prairie, Moran, Reynolds, Round Prairie, Staples, Stowe Prairie, Turtle Creek, Villard, Ward, West Union, Wykeham Townships.
A Map of Todd County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Todd County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Todd County, MN Courthouse
Old Todd County Courthouse
The Todd County Courthouse is located in Long Prairie, Minnesota. At some time Todd County was attached to Stearns County and Morrison County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Todd county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Todd County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1869, Marriage Records from 1867 and Land Records from 1867. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Todd County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1876 and Court Records from 1868. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Todd County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Todd County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Todd County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Todd County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Todd County Historical Museum
- Bertha Historical Society
- Eagle Bend Historical Society
- Central Minnesota Historical Center
- Todd County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Todd County, Minnesota Genealogy Boards
Todd County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Todd County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Todd Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Todd County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Todd Co. MNGenweb
- Todd County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Todd County, Minnesota Military Records