McLeod County, Minnesota Records
McLeod County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on March 1, 1856 from Carver County and Sibley County. The county was named in honor of Martin McLeod, pioneer fur trader, member of the council in the territorial legislature, 1849-53; one of the founders of the City of Glencoe, 1855.
McLeod County Cities and Towns include Biscay, Brownton, Glencoe, Hutchinson, Lester Prairie, Plato, Silver Lake, Stewart, Winsted.
McLeod County Townships include Acoma, Bergen, Collins, Glencoe, Hale, Hassan Valley, Helen, Hutchinson, Lynn, Penn, Rich Valley, Round Grove, Sumter, Winsted Townships.
A Map of McLeod County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
McLeod County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
McLeod County, MN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in McLeod county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- McLeod County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1865 and Land Records from 1856. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- McLeod County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1864 and Court Records from 1867. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- McLeod County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
McLeod County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
McLeod County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
McLeod County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- McLeod County Genealogical and Historical Society
- Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
- McLeod County, Minnesota Message Boards
- McLeod County, Minnesota Genealogy Boards
McLeod County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- McLeod County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- McLeod Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- McLeod County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- McLeod Co. MNGenweb
- McLeod County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- McLeod County, Minnesota Military Records