Grant County, Kansas Records
Grant County, Kansas (Map It) was created on March 20, 1873 from Unorganized Territory. Grant County was abolished in 1883 and reorganized in 1888 from Hamilton County and Finney County. The county was named in honor of Ulysses Simpson Grant (1822-1885), the most capable of the Union generals during the Civil War, and later the 18th president of the United States...
Grant County Cities and Towns include Ulysses.
A Map of Grant County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Grant County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Grant County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Grant county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Grant County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1890-1926, Marriage Records from 1888-98 and Death Records from 1892-1926. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Grant County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1888. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Grant County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1888 and Court Records from 1888. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Grant County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Grant County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Grant County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Grant County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Grant County Historical Society, 300 East Oklahoma, Ulysses KS 67880
- Search for Grant Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Grant County, Kansas Message Boards
Grant County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Grant County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Grant Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Grant County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Grant County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Grant Co. KSGenweb
- Grant County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Grant County, Kansas Military Records