Hamilton County, Kansas Records
Hamilton County, Kansas (Map It) was created on March 20, 1873 (Organized in 1886) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Alexander Hamilton (1757-1804), Revolutionary War veteran, author of The Federalist, and the first Secretary of the Treasury..
Hamilton County Cities and Towns include Syracuse and Coolidge.
A Map of Hamilton County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hamilton County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Hamilton County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hamilton county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Hamilton County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1896-1911, Marriage Records from 1886 and Death Records from 1896-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Hamilton County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1884. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Hamilton County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1886 and Court Records from 1885. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Hamilton County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Hamilton County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hamilton County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Hamilton County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Search for Hamilton Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Hamilton County, Kansas Message Boards
Hamilton County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Hamilton County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Hamilton Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Hamilton County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Hamilton County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Hamilton Co. KSGenweb
- Hamilton County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Hamilton County, Kansas Military Records