Stevens County, Kansas Records
Stevens County, Kansas (Map It) was created on March 20, 1873 from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Thaddeus Stevens (1792-1868), a U.S. senator from Pennsylvania and a passionate advocate of Radical Republicanism. ..
Stevens County is bordered by Grant County (north), Haskell County (northeast), Seward County (east), Texas County, Oklahoma (south), Morton County (west), Stanton County (northwest).
Stevens County Cities and Towns include Hugoton and Moscow.
A Map of Stevens County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Stevens County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Stevens County, KS Courthouse
The Stevens County Courthouse is located in Hugoton, Kansas. Learn More About State of Kansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Stevens county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Stevens County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 18?, Marriage Records from 1886 and Death Records from 18?. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Stevens County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1886. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Stevens County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1886 and Court Records from 1886. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Stevens County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Stevens County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Stevens County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Stevens County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Search for Stevens Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Stevens County, Kansas Message Boards
Stevens County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Stevens County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Stevens Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Stevens County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Stevens County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Stevens Co. KSGenweb
- Stevens County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Stevens County, Kansas Military Records