Edwards County, Kansas Records
Edwards County, Kansas (Map It) was created on March 18, 1874 from Kiowa County. The county was named in honor of John H. Edwards, state senator who pushed for creation of the county or W. C. Edwards, a Reno Co. businessman who owned much land in the area and built the first brick building in Kinsley; he agreed to build that building and give it to the new county on condition the county bear his name..
Edwards County Cities and Towns include Belpre, Fellsburg, Kinsley, Lewis, Offerle.
A Map of Edwards County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Edwards County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Edwards County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Edwards county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Edwards County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1902-11, Marriage Records from 1875 and Death Records from 1902-11. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Edwards County Register of Deeds Officehas Land Records from 1874. Phone 620-659-3131 The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Edwards County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1874 and Court Records from 1874. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Edwards County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Edwards County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Edwards County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Edwards County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Edwards County Historical Society
- Search for Edwards Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Edwards County, Kansas Message Boards
Edwards County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Edwards County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Edwards Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Edwards County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Edwards County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Edwards Co. KSGenweb
- Edwards County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Edwards County, Kansas Military Records