Pratt County, Kansas Records
Pratt County, Kansas (Map It) was created on February 26, 1867 from Peketon Territory. The county was named in honor of Caleb S. Pratt, a Bostonian and 2nd Lieutenant for the Union during the Civil War. .
Pratt County Cities and Towns include Pratt, (county seat), Iuka, Preston, Sawyer, Coats, Cullison, Byers.
A Map of Pratt County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Pratt County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Pratt County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pratt county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Pratt County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1888 - 1900, Marriage Records from 1879 and Death Records from 1888 - 1900. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Pratt County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1879. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Pratt County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1879 and Court Records from 1879. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Pratt County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Pratt County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Pratt County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Pratt County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Search for Pratt Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Pratt County, Kansas Message Boards
Pratt County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Pratt County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Pratt Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Pratt County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Pratt County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Pratt Co. KSGenweb
- Pratt County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Pratt County, Kansas Military Records